2022-2023 SMU Business Accelerator Program Application
Applications Are Closed,
Only one team member or founder will need to apply to the SMU Business Accelerator Program. Applications deadline date has been extended. FINAL EXTENDED DEADLINE DATE Sunday, October 9, 2022, at 11:59 PM CST.
Note: Please read the eligibility requirements below.
Note:Please review the “Important Dates” calendar outlining all the scheduled workshops and competition dates. Attendance will be requiredto remain eligible in the program and to compete in the upcoming competitions
Who can Apply?
- In line with the mission of the Cox Graduate Entrepreneurship Club, every “Team” (1 – 5 members) start-up venture must be student-led, student-driven, student-created, and student -managed. Both graduate (MBA, JD, or any other Masters candidate) and undergraduate entrepreneurs from any SMU department may apply. SMU Student alumni is eligible to apply if recently graduated 13 months from the original application date . Exceptions require approval.
- Team compositions teams must be comprised of at least one current SMU student founders . Student is a current graduate or undergraduate degree- seeking student. Team must comprise at least 50% of SMU student founders. Only SMU team members may present in both the Elevator Pitch Competition and the SMU Startup Launch Competition. (SMU student-created, student-led, student -created and student-managed start-up ventures)
- The Team and/or business must not have raised more than $250,000 in equity capital before the start of the current academic year (e.g., Aug 1, 2022, for the 2022 competition)
- The Team and/or business must not have not generated more than $100,000 in total revenue before the start of the current academic year (e.g., Aug 1, 2022, for the 2022-2023 competition)
- The Team and/or business must be seeking funding and be a potentially viable investment opportunity within the next year
- A recent copy of an Executive Summary and Pitch Deck is required upon submission of the application; Please refer to the resource page for specific details)
- Candidates accepted in the Business Accelerator Program must commit to attending scheduled workshops and participating and engaging in networking events and activities. Teams or founders who do not attend and participate in all requires scheduled workshops will not be eligible to compete. (please refer to the ” Important Dates” schedule)
- Teams must be comprised of at least 1 enrolled student founder(graduate or undergraduate) or recently graduated SMU alumni and may not exceed 5 members
- Teams must designate 1 person to be the team lead. The team lead will be the main point of contact
- For teams competing, a maximum of 5 students may present at the SMU Cox Startup Launch Competition
- A formation of a team will not be required for individual founders.
Nature of Ventures
- This competition is for student startup ventures that include a significant innovation. In all judging rubrics, innovation will be a weighted category
- This will be for early-stage student start-ups who are at the stage of needing investment capital
- Generally excluded are the following: buy-outs, expansions of existing companies, private equity syndications, energy syndications, real estate or other limited partnership syndications, tax shelters, franchises, licensing agreements for distribution in a different geographical area, and spin-outs from existing corporations.
- Startups should fall into one of the following sectors: 1. Energy/ Cleantech (such as, Batteries and Storage, Decarbonization/Climate Tech, Energy Renewable, Oil and Gas, Electric Vehicles, etc) ; 2. Digital Enterprise (such as ,Blockchain, Cloud & Edge Computing, Fintech, Media, SaaS, Supply Chain Logistics, Enterprise Software ,etc); 3. Hard Tech (such as , Augmented & Virtual Reality, Robotics, Smart Sensors, Quantum Computing, Drones, AI, Machine Learning, Aerospace/ Spacetech, etc); 4. Life Sciences and Healthcare Solutions (such as, Biotech, Diagnostics, Digital Health, Medical Devices, Prevention, Therapeutic, Pharma, Disease management, Wellness Solution, etc) 5. Consumer Products and Services (such as, RetailTech, EdTech, Consumer Web , Food & Drink, Gaming, Information Security, Personal Devices, Subscription Services ,etc)
Other Rules and Required Forms
- Candidates accepted in the Business Accelerator Program must commit to attending scheduled workshops and participating and engaging in networking events and activities. Teams or founders who do not attend and participate in any scheduled workshops will not be eligible to compete. ( please refer to the “Important Dates” schedule)
- Each team member will be required to submit an individual Form W-9 or W-8 ECI at registration. If the venture has been incorporated and has received an EIN, one form may be filled out. No prizes will be awarded without a completed W-8 ECI or W-9 on file with the Cox office. (The Graduate Entrepreneurship Club will provide a copy of this)
- A completed Business Accelerator Program Application Form will also be required for participation.
- Participants in both the Elevator Pitch and/or Startup Launch Competition will be required to sign a consent form to be videotaped and included in event promotional photos
- The Business Accelerator Program is for startups seeking funding and/ or ready to launch within the time frame of the program or 12 months past the competition. It is open to startups that are investor ready and ready to accelerate the progress within their startup stage.
Acceptance of Rules
By submitting an entry into the SMU Business Accelerator Program, participants agree to these rules and that the decision of the competition judges is final. SMU also has the right, at its sole discretion, to not accept any application it feels is not in keeping with the spirit and/or intent of SMU and the competition.
Any further questions or inquiries, please contact club president firstname.lastname@example.org